Wednesday, July 30, 2008

User Centered Spaces

Indeed the Mann Library renovation considered the users when the plans were conceived. The plans implemented Cornell student-work as well as the work of architecture professors. The library contains faculty offices, cutting-edge laboratories, large study rooms, and the above-mentioned features. First, providing comfortable indoor temperature is essential for the well being of faculty, staff and students, especially in an area like New York where fall and winter can be bitter cold. The new HVAC system not only improves the ability for students and employees to use the library comfortably, but also helps keep the collection safe from environmental elements.

The Bissett Center second floor transformation states user-centered, all around. The change of what was once the "catalog room" into an area for large LCD screens, laptop connections and group work stations equipped with multi-media capabilities is a representation of the way libraries have changed in the last twenty years. Once an entire room was needed for the catalog, however now with the use of online catalogs, there no longer was a need for a catalog room. Instead, the need was for electrical outlets for laptop connections, network availabilities, and for furniture that would lend itself to gather for group work. Installing equipment for digital presentations was also a need that was met.

Students can now use the Mann library for working on assignments that require digital equipment. This type of transformation is a sign of the times that libraries have become centers for digital information and not simply for storage of printed material or for “checking out” books. The need for equipment for digital capabilites emphasizes that students are needing digital access. The electronic capabilities were provided in the renovation and exemplifies that overall the library culture and its use has transformed to an electronic media hub.

The Manndible café also represents that the renovation included the need for a place to refuel with coffee and other edible nourishment. The Mann library is only one of several on the Cornell University campus, however it meets the needs for gathering students to complete course work in a cutting edge environment with the latest technology capabilities.

This link will take you to the renovation page of the Mann Library.
http://www.openhouse.mannlib.cornell.edu/index.html

5 comments:

rednecklibrarian007 said...

Great post. They have certainly done some excellent renovations. Converting poorly used space into user-centered space is so valuable, and a good starting point to show that while new buildings are great, existing buildings can also be turned into user-focused facilities.

Patrick said...

I checked out the renovation site, very informative. I like the historical photos showing the state of the library stacks in the 1940s and the "book elevator" of the 1950s.

I MUST comment on the play on words using the Mann name. "Time before Mann" "Manndible cafe" - very creative.

David said...

The renovation site was very thorough (a lot more thorough than mine =D). I couldn't find on the site though about the laboratories you mentioned. If they are combining science labs and the library, that is really cool, although I worry about the state of books after crazy chemistry experiments (my lab book sometimes got a little....discolored, shall we say).
I also take things like HVAC for granted. I never even thought of it being a luxury. Having worked in a Special Collections for nearly four years and having four different fire suppression systems and special climate/humidity controls, I didn't even think about it, but it certainly is a focus. It's good to see the user-centered focus that the Mann Library is pursuing. Especially with their collaborative workstations.

Ann said...

I love the names: "Manndible Cafe" and the "Knowledge Bars." These big open ariums are also a big trend in new library spaces, I'm noticing. This library renovation looks fabulous -- thanks for writing about it!

Elizabeth White said...

I noticed that you mentioned temperature in your post; this is something that seems to be often overlooked but really is so user-centered...I'm from upstate NY (actually near Cornell)so I'm very familiar with trying to work in libraries that are often freezing and drafty. It's great that Cornell focused their environmental concerns on both the collection and the users.

I had a look around the website of the Mann Library, very nice...I noticed the site mentions "warm" a number of times (i.e. "warm art deco style," "warm inviting space..." seems to be a theme here).

Something else I noticed that really speaks to a user-centered focus; Mann Library makes its resources available to the public; NY residents can borrow books for four weeks and Cornell "strives to make its electronic resources available to all."